Wednesday, April 1, 2009

let it go

and that i can't!

i am a very outspoken person and everyone knows that. i stand up for what i think is right and if you don't agree with me, well then that is your right. if everyone agreed on every issue, what fun would that be?

i am supporting the school tax levy increase. i have had numerous conversations with others on this issue, some for and some against.

i have many reasons of why i support them:

* i have 3 kids that will be going through that school system
* i have friends and family that work there
* i want my kids to have the best education they can get
* it is our only school disrict in our county and i don't want to lose that
* and more.....

i don't want my taxes to go up. i don't want to have to try and save more money, but i do want the school district to keep afloat. i know that it is going to be really tough for some to pay more money, and i hate that, but at the same time i have to think about my kids and their future. if i don't stand up and speak for my kids, then who will? and if i didn't at least try, what kind of parent would i be?

i have heard several people make comments like:


1) i don't have any kids/grandkids in the school so why should i support them?

2) i homeschool or i send my kids to a private school so what do i get out of paying more taxes to a school i don't send my kid to?


well i have several different opinions to this.

to number 1) you might not have kids or grandkids in the system but who paid for you when you went to school?

to number 2) i understand you, but on the other hand you pay taxes to the library, senior services center, the health dept, the nursing home and etc. do you use all of those facilities? some of you might but most of you don't use all of them. what if we didn't pay taxes to or support the nursing home? how would they manage to take care of our grandparents or us someday? what if we didn't pay taxes to the library? how would some of those kids or adults get to read books b/c they are not able to afford to buy their own? the same goes for the school system. you may not utilize it but you do know of someone that does. don't you want the best for them? what if you had to get a job and you weren't able to homeschool or if you couldn't afford a private school and you had to send your child to the public school, would you support them then b/c your child was in it? yes you would b/c you would want the best for them! the only way these entities are going to make it is if we stand up and help them out!

and last but not least.....

how do you think the teachers, dr.'s, pharmacists, mechanics, cpa's and etc got to where they are at today? they did it through schooling! whether it was through a public school, private school or homeschooling!

you would not be where you are at today if it wasn't for education and teachers!

6 comments:

Andrea Frederick said...

Thanks Bree...you're awesome and I feel so fortunate to have you in my corner. I agree with you 100%!

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

I'd hate to not have you in my corner...you're feisty! :)

Corin said...

When is this vote? I'm just curious.

Andrea Frederick said...

Corin ~ april 7th

Diane Melvin said...

I agree with you. I don't work in the school, Lydia isn't in school, but I feel it is important to support the children that are there as well as those coming up. I can't believe some of the comments that I've heard about it either. I pray that it passes!!

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with you TOTALLY!~!!! California is in real bad shape right now on that same stuff! WTF!!! When did everything turn for the worst? Good luck!
Amy