Tuesday, April 21, 2009

parenting

Oh what to do, what to do.......

braylon has been acting SOOOO bad lately.

not sure if he is trying to get attention or if he just plain doesn't care.

he back talks, i spank him, he talks back again, i spank, smack, do time out, take awy stuff. NOTHING works. well, nothing that i have found anyhow.

yesterday he hit a little girl in the privates. not once, but twice AND hit a baby in the face.

when i tried to talk to him about it he would turn his head. i would grab ahold of his face and make him look right at me and he would close his eyes or look out of the corner of his eyes the other direction.

i was afraid to spank him b/c i thought once i started i might not stop!

so yesterday he was at my gma's and i told bronson to call me if he was being bad. which he did! so this was our conversation...

me: if you don't be good i am going to come over there and spank you
b: SILENCE
me: did you hear me
b: SILENCE
me: ok, i am going to come over there right now and spank you
b: huh, what did you say?
me: you heard me
b: no i didn't, tell me again

oh i just wanted to go thru that phone and strangle him.

so, i tell jared about it last night and braylon crawls under the recliner so jared couldn't see him.

his punishment, you ask? he couldn't go to my gma's today. i went to pick up bronson and take him over there and boy was braylon mad! TOUGH!!!! we will see how he acts today and tomorrow.

i am thinking lockdown is in the near future.....

4 comments:

Corin said...

Sounds like you found a punishment that works.

Anonymous said...

where's shonya!!!!!? maybe she will have some super advice!!!! (i don't look forward to these days! i think they are "easier" the younger they are!!!) sorry i have no advice... :(

Roxanne said...

OH the days of testing the waters. You sound just like me when my son was that age. He didn't do the exact same things but similar. Here's how I see it looking back. He was wanting attention from ME. When I spanked, he got that attention. When I said "look at me" and he didn't, it was that much longer he got with me focusing on just him.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd do the supernanny thing. Time out chair. Place him in it and walk away. If he gets up, take him back and walk away. No talking other than to tell him why he's going to the "naughty chair". Before you begin you have to spell out the rules and let him know what is expected of him and what will happen if he doesn't do what is expected. Be consistent. It WILL be maddening and it WILL be hard for you and you WILL be tempted to just say forget it. But, in the end, it's worth it.

Then - after his time out is done, drop it. Tell him if he can behave next time you will take him to do something special. This could be something as simple as coloring a picture together or taking a short walk around the block. Just you and him. That's what he's crying out for.

GOOD LUCK!!

Roxanne

Andrea Frederick said...

Oh Bree~
I first want you to know I know exactly where you are...just not with a 3 year old! I think you and Jared need to decide your plan of action and then take it one day/hour/fit at a time. As you know, you guys are going to also have to make some sacrifices...some that are not fun, and some that won't seem fair. One of you might have to stay at home with him when you would rather be watching the other 2 play ball, etc. I agree with Roxanne where she said that you need to forget about the "offense" after the time is served. Don't drag it out...give him his punishment and then forget it, it'll eat away at both of you. Also, I think you guys might need some "quality" time together...remember what you did for Brax when he was 3 and try to do some of those things for Braylon...it's not his fault he's the 3rd:) and has to trail behind two very active older brothers. Good luck and if I'm ever at home, I will step in as surrogate mommy and give that boy some one on one time...
I know it'll be hard, but it needs to be done! Love you....