Thursday, October 15, 2009

texting

everywhere you look someone is starring at their phone punching away furiously so they can get that next text sent. whether you are walking down the street, sitting in a restaurant or driving, someone is always texting. if you haven't noticed then the next time you are out and about check it out.

now don't get me wrong and think that i dislike texting, b/c you are wrong. i love texting. but i also have some mixed feelings about it.

i think it is a great handy little tool when you want to just ask someone a quick question or when you are in a meeting and you want to send a text for some reason.

but i think it is bad b/c you quit "talking" to people. it is just like all you are doing is emailing them and not ever "talking" to them. i like to "talk" to people! i think if all you do is text back and forth with someone you miss out on a lot of discussions because you don't want to type that much.

so what is your outlook on "texting"?

3 comments:

Corin said...

I'm so not a texter. Of course I don't have one of those keyboard phones, but even if I did I don't think I could get into it. I'm too windy. I don't just have quick comments I need to tell you every little detail. That's probably why people text me, they don't want to hear it. Hehe.
P.S. People that text and drive scare me.

Shonya said...

Good thoughts--and really, doesn't it also apply to facebook? I'm finding myself using fb to communicate more and more--rather than calling, certainly, and even rather than a longer, more personal email. It can be sad to think about, and certainly makes me want to be cautious to keep in 'real' touch with my friends!

Andrea Frederick said...

I love texting for reminders or mass information....for instance: the birth of a child, soccer cancellations, reminders for Awana. I also use it to ask a quick question b/c I know that person is probably rocking their baby or sitting at a ballgame. I also find it handy to let someone know you are thinking about them. A tragedy or hard time comes up and you can text them and let them know you are thinking of them and love them, but they don't have to talk about it. Sometimes talking just starts the tears all over again. However, I still talk on the phone ALOT! I love to talk and like Corin said, I need to say a lot of details. Good post!