Tuesday, October 13, 2009

friends

do you ever wonder who your true friends are?

i mean when i was growing up my mom would always say " bree, i don't know why you are friends with her, she isn't a very good friend." i would say "whatever, mom like you know!" b/c you know i knew everything and she didn't know anything. i would say about 95% of the time she was right and i was wrong.

i don't understand how she could pick them out and i couldn't. i guess she had been there and done that! plus, she was looking from the outside in.

but now as a parent, i see what she means. i can see who braxton's "real" friends are right now and the ones that are "just' friends.

i have had several friends, best friends, true friends and not so true friends in my 30 years. i am still in contact with some of those friends. we may not talk everyday, or see each other EVER, but we still have that kind of friendship where we could pick up the phone and call California and start talking like we lived right next door. that is a "true" friend to me. i have that "best friend" from back in the days, i have that "best friend" now, i have "friends" that i can call whenever i just want to chat and then i have those "not so true friends" that only talk to me when they need something from me and then there are my "true" friends.......

when i moved to lancaster, i thought i would never make friends. here i was 18 and all the kids my age were going away to college and the older ones already had their "friends", so they didn't need me. but slowly, i started making friends. they may have been the girlfriend or wife of jared's friends, but friends nonetheless. after living here for 12 years i feel i have made several friends, best friends, true friends and not so true friends.

i know i haven't been the best of friend to lots of people but i also know that i have been a great friend to others. i have had friends that we have just grown apart for reasons unknown.

then sometimes i feel like i am the only one giving and not receiving. and i have to think "is that really the kind of friendship i want?"

then somedays i feel like i don't really know who my friends are and then there are days that i feel so blessed to have so many great friends.

so tell me, what is it that you look for in a friendship?

5 comments:

Shonya said...

Wow! Talk about getting my wheels spinning--what a fantastic post!

To me, after 36 years of all the various categories of friendships, I want a friend I can be myself with. Someone who accepts and loves me just as I am, that I can be real and transparent with, that accepts I am independent and unique instead of judging me or wanting to change me, but also doesn't try to BE me (I just need my space sometimes), someone who is there for me when I need them, is willing to share herself so I can be blessed by knowing the real her and also know where she's at and how/when to bless her. Also, someone who is willing to talk about the 'hard' stuff--even when it's awkward, even when it requires apologies or confrontation, even loving rebuke, but cares enough to go the distance. Oh, and someone who isn't needy and gets all freaked out over every little thing so I have to baby them all the time, sooth their feelings, talk to them every day, all that garbage.

Didn't know I'd take off and write my own post in your comments, hmmm? :) I consider you a good friend, Bree. Even as our lives have gotton busier and taken some different paths that don't frequently cross, I think you get the real me and don't hate her (lol) and I KNOW I can call you if I need something. I appreciate the way we can talk about so many different things, and I think you are a GIVER, as I told you last week. Hmmmm. . .still thinking, but I'll stop writing! :) Thanks~

Anonymous said...

I have and will always refer to you as one of my best friends! I know I am one that you NEVER see but I love the fact that through the computer we can communicate on a regular basis. To me you are someone that I know would be there for me no matter what. Thank you for that; and thank you for always putting in effort to our "relationship".
Love ya girlie!
Your California Amy

Andrea Frederick said...

I think different friends have different "jobs." Some friends are our work friends....we rant and vent together and cheer and holler together. Some friends are our children's friends....we chat during dance, soccer, baseball. Some friends are our TRUE friends...these are the most important. These friends know YOU! They know you need space, need to talk, need to have ME time, or US time. They GET you. The understand that even though you are being irrational, we have all been there and will probably go there again. I am blessed to have many TRUE friends, and you are one of them! Thank you for knowing just what I need, when I need it! Love you...

Shonya said...

Loved Andrea's comment, too--I agree there are friends for different things. I just wanted to add, I think there are different 'seasons' to friendship, also. Maybe in one season you spend a lot of time together, have a million things in common, etc., then at another season that friendship has a different flavor. . .the roads diverge in the wood. . .and I fully expect another season to come around in which that friendship rekindles again as the paths cross and/or walk parallel again. Does that make sense? Always still a friendship, just different seasons make the friendship look different--fulfilling different purposes as appropriate for the time and circumstances.

Bree Shaw said...

i absolutely agree with all of you! i had never thought about having different friends for different seasons, but it is so true.

your sweet comments have made me feel so good. i wasn't fishing for compliments i was just thinking out loud about friendships. i had seen a "what kind of friend are you" quiz on fb and it triggered me to this post!

thanks for making me think even more deeply on this.

love ya guys!