Monday, March 16, 2009

frustrating

you know, i often wonder why people like to complain about "everything".

we had a ball meeting yesterday and it seemed like every time i turned around someone was complaining. but these people that like to complain never want to be the one to step up and be in charge! they just like to be the one in charge of complaining.

it seems like every year brings more parents trying to pick their childs coach. they don't want them on this persons team b/c they don't like the coach or they don't want them on this team b/c they don't like the kids. it just gets so frustrating that the parents are trying to tell us what to do.

if we did what every parent wanted to do then there would be stacked teams and then teams with hardly anyone on them. that is just not fair to the kids. these parents are thinking about what they want, what they think is best and not what the kids want. they may say that the child wants this or that, but in reality it is what "they" want. they love to complain about every coach their child has but never sign up to coach!

they threaten you with, "well if my kid has to be on that coaches team, then they just won't play". ok, so if we do what they want then they will be throwing their weight around all the time and if we don't do what they want, then we could lose kids because of their parents.

i know that everyone would like for their child to be on the ideal team or have the ideal coach. but that just doesn't always happen. i am just tired of people coming up to me and saying, "i really don't want my child on this or that team, i want them to have this coach or i would like for them to play up b/c of some stupid reason!" if they want all this for their child then they just need to step up to the plate (no pun intended) and coach or be a board member!!!

i know this goes the same for schools and teachers. yes, i would like to have a certain teacher some years but i am not going to dwell on it and throw a fit b/c they didn't get that teacher. i have teacher friends and i am not going to make it their job to make sure my child gets a certain teacher or expect them to get my child the teacher i want for them. it isn't fair to them to have to try and do what i want. they will get who they get, teacher or coach. PERIOD!!!

if you want to control what teacher or coach you get then i suggest you either become a teacher or coach, then you can get the perks!!

food for thought: these parents say that their child won't play if they get a certain coach, so do you think they would pull their child out of school if they didn't get the teacher they wanted?

off my soap box now.......

9 comments:

Andrea Frederick said...

I totally agree and if anyone went to the meeting where you split up teams they would see how hard it would be for you to get a certain kid on a certain team. It's a free for all, and the coaches start splitting up the lists. The coaches do a great job of trying to get a certain number of ages and abilities so the teams aren't stacked and parents need to understand that. The same goes for school....it's so hard to get a certain kid in a certain class. Half the time, things get switched around after we split them up anyway. As you said...it's a perk. Every job has one and you just have to be greatful for your perk and quit being envious of other people's! Whew....guess we have the same soap box!

Cindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Finding Joy in the Journey said...

whew, ladies! and breathe! bree, just so you know, Mike's totally prepared to be a t-ball coach when Natalee's old enough and I'm totally prepared to be the dug-out mama (because Mike may know the rules but he doesn't know how to control kids...that's where I step in!). you do a great job of handling all that responsibility. let the bossy parents go right in one ear and out of the other!

Corin said...

It's this way with everything. People want to complain, but they want someone else to fix it. I have to say I've been guilty of it a few times myself. We could all probably stand to do better in this department.

Anonymous said...

Bree, I don't even know what to say other than I feel ya! Parents can wear a person out!!! Don't get me wrong, there are great parents out there who make it all worth while, but for some reason it's the ones who think they can push people around or be hateful/bitchy to get what they want that seem to make the irrating things out weigh the good. Isn't that sad. I just had a conversation this weekend with one of my friends who believe that you have to be a bitch to get things done how you want them. I think that's sad, too. I've accomplished lots by being nice to people! So, whoever that parent/parents were that were causing a problem, stick your ground. I would bet a million dollars they won't take their child off a team especially if they are a parent that is way into sports! They are just trying to bully you around to get what they want, but what they don't know is that you have the "I am woman! And you, too, will hear me roar!" (in a nice way) syndrome!! (Remember, kill them with kindness!!! It works.) Hoping working with parents gets better for you in the future, Kristina

Amee Jones said...

Wow! What a topic. I am glad to see it addressed. I feel like parents are more worried about their own personal preference than the fun that is meant for their children. 99% of children would care less what team or whose class they are in, if they didn't have their parents' voices ringing in their ears. Good for you. Thanks for standing up for teachers :)

Cindy said...

I think my statement was misunderstood, so I deleted it for further conversation.....

Shonya said...

Well, I *would* say that Destry had BETTER be on so-and-so's team, but I'm afraid I would get my head bit off. Giggling. I really don't care. I don't think we've ever had a terrible coach with him. (Oh wait, there WAS that one year--what were those people's names? oh yeah, like Jared and Bree and Alan and Jim! tee, hee) Seems the girl's coaches are a little harder to come by, but like you said, I've never stepped up to coach, so I have no room to gripe. Maybe when Kiana gets up there. . . :)

Amy W said...

I want to be one of these people that is that into sports, but I just can't. Maybe if my kids were really into it, but they aren't yet. But you better believe that I would NOT go into a public forum and say ridiculous things like "My kid won't play if he doesn't get X coach!" I got burned pulling that kind of junk in the 8th grade and learned my lesson! :)